30 SECONDS OF DRUG NEWS YOU CAN USE (9/19/18)
By: Randy S. Gerber, Esq., Founder of Pacient.care
ASPIRIN: JUST SAY NO!
- New study suggests an aspirin a day doesn't lower the risk of heart disease, dementia or disability
- Aspirin may increase risk of digestive bleeding
- But, for patients who have had heart issues or strokes or who are at high risk, aspirin still has benefits
- If you're taking aspirin and want to stop, check with your doctor first.
BOOMERS AND MARIJUANA-TOGETHER AGAIN
- Many baby boomers are stoked to hear that marijuana use is increasing for adults age 50 and over
- The problem is that this group is more likely to have other more serious drug issues.
CDC: GET YOUR FLU SHOT HERE
- CDC recommends you get your flu shot before October 31 if you are over 6
- 2 Weeks: that's how long it takes for the vaccine to develop antibodies to protect you
- Nasal spray vaccine is recommended option
- For CDC frequently asked questions read here
CIGNA/EXPRESS SCRIPTS: ALMOST MARRIED
- $69 billion dollar merger receive government approval
- Combines health insurance with pharmacy benefit manager (what is a PBM, read here)
- Goal is to reduce costs, hopefully passed on to consumer
- Joins other big insurance companies who have done the same thing: CVS/Aetna and United Health/OptumRx
That's it. Your 30 seconds is up. See you next time.
If you need further information, feel free to email me with any questions or comments. Randy. firstname.lastname@example.org